Wild Mushroom & Minted Brussels Soup - Perfect pairing with our Juice Till Dinner Juice Cleanse
Wild Mushroom, Ginger, and Minted Brussels Pho Soup
Recipe and photo courtesy of Crazy Sexy Kitchen by Kris Carr
This recipe became an instant favorite because of the incredibly flavorful broth, and how easy it is to make. We love it best with 2 packages of Udon noodles. However, if you want to keep it gluten free, feel free to use your favorite brown-rice, buckwheat or rice noodles.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 of an onion, diced
1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed
4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 ounces wild mushroom mix (French horns, Maitake, Hon Shimeji)
8 ounces white button mushrooms, quartered
1 Large portabello mushroom, cubed
3 heads baby bok choy, chopped
One 5-ounce can baby corn, drained and halved (juice reserved)
One 14-oz can water chestnuts, sliced (juice reserved)
5 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 star anise
3 limes, juiced
tablespoons freshly chopped mint
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1. Heat oil in large pot on stove top, on medium high. Add the onion and whole Brussels sprouts and sear for one minute, splashing with vegetable broth to slightly steam and blanch.
2. Add ginger and all of the mushrooms, mixing together
3. Add remaining vegetable broth, cooking the mushrooms down a bit and stirring frequently.
4. Add baby bok choy, baby corn, water chestnuts, soy sauce, and star anise. Bring to a slow simmering boil for a few minutes at most.
5. Before serving, remove star anise and add lime juice, mint, and sesame oil to finish. Serve over your favorite grain or noodles!
To learn more about juice cleanses that are a combination of food and juice, click here