Creamy Potato-Leak Soup - A Perfect Pre/Post Juice Cleanse Meal!
Recipe adapted from Isa Does it by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
This delicious and comforting soup gets its creaminess from cashews in the place of dairy. This simple recipe is easy to make and will delight even the pickiest of palates, making it a great household staple for those colder months! A perfect pairing to our Juice Till Dinner Juice Cleanse.
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 large leek, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
1 small yellow onion, finely sliced
1 teaspoon salt, plus a pinch
1 cup cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
1 & 1/2 cups water
2 pounds russet potatoes (about 4), peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
Several pinches of freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
4 cups vegetable broth
1. Preheat a 4-quart pot over medium heat and add the coconut oil. Sauté the leeks and onion in the oil with a pinch of salt for about 10 minutes, until the leeks are completely softened.
2. While that is cooking, make the cashew cream. Drain the cashews and place in a food processor or blender, add the water and blend until smooth. Set aside.
3. To the soup pot, add the potatoes, black pepper, the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt, thyme and broth. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes, until the potatoes are very tender.
4. Add the cashew cream to the pot and stir to combine.
5. Transfer the soup to your blender and blend until smooth, but allowing some texture to remain.
Soups are great before or after a Juice Cleanse!
When preparing for a juice cleanse having soup as one of your last meals is fantastic. They are easy on the digestive system and full of nutrients. Soups like this one compliment our Juice Till Dinner Juice Cleanse beautifully. Rather than 4 juices then dinner, some people prefer to have 2 juices, a soup, 2 juices, and a soup. Check out all of our Juice cleanses here. Enjoy!