Chocolate Hazelnut Torte - The Perfect Sweet Treat for your Valentine Sweetie
Chilled Chocolate Torte With Toasted Hazelnut Crust
This decadent recipe is from one of our favorite cook books: The Oh She Glows Cookbook. Cashews take the place of dairy in the rich chocolatey filling, making it creamy and oh so delicious. The best part? This fancy-looking dessert is easy to make!
This is my go-to dessert when I want to share the love - perfect for your Valentine Sweetie!
I have also made it skipping the crust all together and just making the filling. Spread it into a square shaped pan, freeze, then cut into little squares and put back in the freezer. The perfect, portion-controlled, bite of heaven for dessert.
For the toasted hazelnut crust:
3/4 cup raw hazelnuts
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
1 cup gluten free rolled oats
For the chocolate filling
1 & 1/2 cups cashews (soaked)
2/3 cup agave nectar or 3/4 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
Shaved chocolate and/or coconut flakes for topping (optional)
1. Make the Toasted Hazelnut Crust: Preheat over to 350F. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie dish with coconut oil.
2. In a food processor, process the hazelnuts into a fine crumb with the texture of sand. Add the oil, maple syrup, salt and oat flour and process until the dough comes together. Finally, pulse until the oats are chopped but still have some texture to them. The dough should stick together slightly when pressed between your fingers. If its too dry, try adding 1 teaspoon of water or processing a bit longer.
3. With your fingers, crumble the dough evenly over the base of the pie dish. Starting from the middle, press the mixture firmly an evenly into the dish, moving outward and upward along the side of the pie dish. The harder you press the crumbs into the dish, the better the crush will hold together. Poke a few fork holes into the bottom to let the steam escape.
4. Bake the crust, uncovered, for 10 to 13 minutes, until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 15-20 minutes.
5. Make the Filling: Drain and rinse the cashews. In a high speed blender, combine the soaked cashes, agave, oil, cocoa powder, melted chocolate, vanilla, salt, and blend on high until the filling is completely smooth.
6. Pour the filling into the prepared crust, smooth out the top evenly and garnish with saved chocolate and/or coconut flakes, if using.
7. Place the pie dish on an even surface in the freezer, uncovered. Freeze for a couple of hours and then cover the dish with foil and freeze overnight., or for a minimum of 4-6 hours, until the pie sets.
8. Remove the pie from the freezer and let it sit on the counter for 10 minutes before slicing. This pie is meant to be served frozen.
9. Enjoy with cuddles and kisses.